Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Emo musings in d minor

There's plenty of fish in the sea. Everybody has heard that notion. Out of a world of seven billion people, there's bound to be somebody who's a match for you. Let's do the math and see if that applies to me. 

By dint of cultural differences, we should probably count out anybody not from a western culture Amero-Euro society. I'm not going to find anybody to love in China or India or Korea or Japan or somesuch, or really anybody who isn't at least an L2 speaker of English. So, most generously speaking, we're down to eight hundred million people worldwide. I'm a largely heterosexual male. That instantly disqualifies about half the population. Down to about four hundred million people. I can't imagine being with somebody with an unexceptional intellect. I don't need a genius, just somebody very smart. 80th percentile seems like a generous enough estimate here. We're now down to less than eighty million potential people worldwide. Among that eighty million, you can count out all the people who are opposed to my particular ideological idiosyncrasies. No right-wing people. Down to forty million. No people who want to have kids. Down to ten million. No people who are already married or in committed relationships. Down to two million. No people who already have kids. Down to one million. No people of a drastically different age. Down to fifty thousand. No people who would reject me for failing their own set of criteria. Down to five hundred people. No people for whom there's an inherent biological rejection, such as smell or lack of connection/attraction. Down to twenty people. No ex-girlfriends. 19 left. No people I will never meet because our paths will never cross. One person left. No people where we meet but things just don't work out. Nobody left. There was never actually anyone there. Every man is an island. 

No comments:

Post a Comment